Your windows are one of the most important features of your home. They let light in, help keep the air fresh, and even help keep your home at a comfortable temperature. How can you need the replacement windows on your Huntington Beach, CA home beautiful year after year? Here are expert tips to help you maintain your windows and window treatments for years to come.
- Clean Them with Soap and Water – Your windows are busy protecting your home from dust, dirt, wind, rain, humidity, and even intruders. It’s no wonder they get dirty! Even windows underneath shutters or other exterior treatments get covered in dirt, spider webs, and pollen. Give your window frames regular cleanings with mild dish soap and water, taking care to dry them thoroughly to prevent water or soap spots.
- Mind the Treatments – Your window treatments are a big part of how your window looks. As such, they need some love and care, too. Do your best to clean and maintain your window treatments, whether that means running the curtains through the washing machine or performing general maintenance on your window shutters like washing the louvres, checking the hinges, or repainting them for a fresh new look.
- Wash the Glass to Make it Shine – Your windows won’t let natural light in if the glass is covered in dust, dirt, and grime. Make your windows shine by cleaning the glass with a mixture of one cup white vinegar and one cup water in a spray bottle. Spritz and wipe them clean using a lint-free cloth. Don’t forget to clean both sides of the glass. You might be amazed at how much dulling dirt and dust build up inside.
- Protect The Frame from the Elements – Your windows are always exposed to the elements, including sunshine. Luckily, there are new types of paints and stains that resist fading even in the face of bright light. If you’re in the mood for a new window color, this is a great opportunity to add a layer of protection for even more longevity. If you decide to change from a painted surface to a stain down the line, you can always strip the paint before applying the new stain.
- Check the Locks – As windows also offer protection, it’s a good idea to do regular checks and maintenance on the locking mechanisms. Check the make sure the locks function well. If they’re sticking, try using an anti-stick spray or invest in new ones.
- Maintain the Weather-stripping – Do regular checks on your window weather-stripping. Run your hand around the edge of the window to feel for drafts or look for signs of sunlight. If the stripping is still sealed and in good condition, clean it thoroughly and apply a light coat of furniture wax for extra protection.
We are here to help ensure your Huntington Beach, CA replacement windows are the best they can be. Stop by and visit us today or give us a call to learn more about our services.